Representative of an Overseas Business visa

UK Immigration Solicitors are a team of expert, specialist solicitors who are market-leaders in all areas of UK immigration law. With a proven track record of success, we provide a bespoke service to each of our clients. Going far above and beyond simply providing advice, as a fully qualified and accredited law firm delivering a global service, we will fully represent your case in close partnership with you.

If you are planning on coming to the UK to set up your own UK Branch of a company you already run in a non-EEA company this is the visa that you should be applying for.  The UK attracts many ambitious and forward-thinking people like you every year, and given one of the world’s leading financial markets, there are many opportunities open to people who are able to secure the visa to make the move.

UK Immigration Solicitors can help you through the process of applying for the visa, ensuring that the documentation is prepared in full, together with the evidence required to show the eligibility, and is presented in a way that gives the best chance of success.

Professional solicitors delivering a professional service to professional people.

Why choose UK Immigration Solicitors?

  • Expert legal advice: over 50 years of combined expertise from an award winning solicitors firm;
  • Individual Service: professional legal advice tailored to your specific needs, no matter where you are in the world;
  • Affordable: fixed payment plan with no hidden extra fees;
  • Peace of mind: all of our solicitors are qualified UK immigration solicitors and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority;
  • Confidence: we are proud members of Immigration Law Practitioners Association.


You can apply to come to the UK as a representative of an overseas business if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and you’re either:

  • the sole representative of an overseas company planning to set up a UK branch or a wholly owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company;
  • an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK.

You must also meet the other eligibility requirements.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • work for your employer, full time;
  • bring your family (‘dependants’) with you to the UK;
  • extend your visa multiple times;
  • apply to settle in the UK after you’ve been here for 5 years;
  • stay in the UK if your company’s circumstances change and you’ve been here for more than 2 years (eg if they appoint a superior in the UK).

You can’t:

  • work for yourself or any other business;
  • stay in the UK if the sole representative arrangement is ended by your employer;
  • switch to this visa from any other visa category;
  • get public funds.


You can:

  • apply from outside the EEA;
  • have enough money to support yourself without help from public funds;
  • meet the English requirements.

Sole Representatives

If you are coming to the UK as a sole representative you must:

  • be recruited and employed outside the UK by a company whose headquarters and principal place of business are outside the UK;
  • have extensive related industry experience and knowledge;
  • hold a senior position within the company (but not be a major shareholder) and have full authority to make decisions on its behalf;
  • intend to establish the company’s first commercial presence in the UK, eg a registered branch or a wholly owned subsidiary.

You may also be eligible if the company has a legal entity in the UK that doesn’t employ staff or transact business.

If your company has been working to establish a UK branch or subsidiary, but it is not yet set up, you can replace a previous sole representative.

Newspaper, news agency or broadcast employees

As an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation, you can come to the UK if you’re being posted here on a long-term assignment.

  • Priority Call Back Request
Call: 0203 384 4389

Call us now to begin a free assessment of your Immigration matter.
0203 3844389 if you are in the UK or 0044203 3844389 if you are outside the UK.
Alternatively, click below to send us your enquiry

Contact Us – Free Assessment